27 April 2012

Zebra Pound Cake


I don't have a bundt pan. I'd kill to have one. 
Really. Tell me who, I'll bring my razor along.
That being said, I hope you'd be able to justify these cakes not with how they are, but how they could have been (like Baker's Royale). Treat it like you would treat your gothic teenager. 

This cake reminds me a lot of my kiddo days. Simply vanilla and chocolate was all I know, was all I thought i would ever eat, was all the flavors I thought existed. 60 cents worth of cake wrapped in clear plastic wrapper. 3 layers, no bigger than your 10 year old palm, each glued by chocolate chantility cream. I take on the slice layer by layer, up to the last layer, the last bite. The conquest was about to end, I was about to wake from the dream, it was unbearable. I wanted more, just one more.

But no, there's always only 1 for each of us. No more, no less. It was a simple little treat. It wasn't a meal, it wasn't dessert. Just a break from the day. Just 10 minutes of silly chocolate-covered-teeth smile to let our mom know, we're happy today, we're doing fine today, thank you for today. 

I had to share this experience with you foodies. It's not always about how expensive the ingredients are. It's not about how pretty the cake is adorned. It's not the box or the wrapper it comes in. It's just us, the cake and that very day. 
Recipe from Baker's Royale. I've adapted for less butter, less sugar and more milk. Please try this out. I'm sure to bake this again.

Zebra Pound Cake
3 cups cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sugar , divided
1/2 cup cocoa powder
6 tbsp water
1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence/extract
5 large eggs
1 1/4 cup whole milk (300ml)

1. Combine cake flour, baking powder, soda and salt together. Set Aside.
2. In another bowl, combine 1/2 cup of sugar, cocoa and water. Mix until smooth. Set aside.
3. Combine butter, 1 cup of sugar (remaining sugar) and mix for 1 minute.
4. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing 1 minute each addition.
5. Add the flour and milk alternatively, mixing well each addition. (Always start and end with dry ingredients, ie. add flour in 4 additions, milk in 3 additions)
6. Remove 2 cups of the batter and combine with the cocoa mixture. Preheat oven to 350F/175C
7. Butter a bundt/angle food cake pan generously. Scoop 2 spoonful of white batter starting at one corner. In the middle of the white batter, add 1 spoonful of the chocolate batter. The batter will spread on it own.
8. Shake pan if lop-sided and bake in the centre for 50-60 minutes, testing with a wooden skewer at several places should come out clean.
9. Cool in pan for 15 minutes before removing from pan.

 Yee-Haa,
Jes
Ps: Updated/corrected recipe.

23 comments:

  1. Gorgeous ! Love zebra cake and my lil guy at home, always gets surprised when I cut a zebra cake, and the expression is simply priceless :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Namitha: I thought so too! It's perfect for little kids! It's like a definite favorite! There's chocolate, there's an animal character attached to it. I wanted to have a chocolate sauce with it (who wouldn't love a good chocolate dipping, but I wanted to keep things simple)

      Delete
  2. "It's not about how pretty the cake is adorned" - that is definitely one pretty cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ WokandSpoon: Thank you! When I compared it to Baker's Royale, I feel like a chimpanzee competing with a Nicole from Pussycat dolls. Plus, I don't have those pretty bundt pans :(

      Delete
  3. I LOVE this cake - those zebra stripes make me feel like a little kid again and I bet it tastes delicious too. Bookmarking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ thelittleloaf: Indeed! It's so simple and I mean kids nowadays wouldn't really have the chance to enjoy a good old black and white cake!

      Delete
  4. I have always wanted to make this cake, but alas it is on the never ending to do list. Your marbling does look amazing-stunning presentation. Great classic flavors sometimes just really hit the spot. Great post!
    Also, making a cake for no special reason can make the day a little bit more special. Enjoy the weekend as well as that cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Tina: The moment I saw it, I had to bake it. It was a big cake. Sadly, I did not have a pretty bundt pan. It's definitely for a kid to have fun with! :D

      Delete
  5. This is one gorgeous cake!!! Thanks for the inspiration...I must make it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Lizzy: Thank you! "Gorgeous" wasn't in the plan. It turned out like all the other zebra cakes. Inspiring and adorable.

      Delete
  6. Your cake came out looking so amazing. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Live a Sweet Life: Thank you! so sweet of you!

      Delete
  7. You have mastered the techniques of this cake - looks stunning :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Choc Chip Uru: Thank you! you're too nice! :D

      Delete
  8. Wow!! This cake looks just beautiful. I keep meaning to try this technique, but I just haven't had the time. Now, it looks to me that I have to make time, STAT! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ justbakedbyme: S T A T! S T A T!!! :D

      Delete
  9. Now that is one stunning cake! I keep meaning to try a zebra cake, but then getting lazy and making a standard marble instead... It really does seem worth the extra effort, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Hannah: Thank you!! You should use your favourite marble cake recipe too! I think its the funnest part to scoop one by one! :D

      Delete
  10. Can I use 9 inch round pan instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Anonymous: yes you can. but make sure the pan is 1-inch taller than the batter. Also if you're using a bundt pan, generously butter the pan and make sure to test with a wooden skewer at several places. Deeper cake = more baking time.

      Delete
  11. It looks and sound great! I cant wait to try it out :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Noelia: Please do tell me when you do :D

      Delete
  12. This looks incredible!!! I need to make this right away!!! Love your site, can't wait to make this and to have a crafts day and make some of those wooden boards!!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...