19 November 2011

Six Layer Chocolate Rum Cake with Swiss Meringue Rum Buttercream

Have you ever thought of being a little kid again? Where days went by without you worrying about what's going to your hips and thighs. Where running around 5 minutes made you perspire like 45 minutes extreme yoga. Where eating 2 slices of cake was "awww, so cute".

I do. A lot. You would know that exact second when I decide to indulge my inner child. Especially when i proclaim random resolutions like "I ain't sharin' my burger!" or "All meat no vege!" or "I'm eating straight from the pot!" Unfortunately, I kid not.

That's where the 6-layer cake comes in. And the rum...is just to congratulate us for getting over being a 5 year old. The cake I was looking for is a "black" cake. When I was searching for "the" recipe, I go to my favourite cake site and found this. However, things seemed a little too professional. Hence, I went to my new favourite site and found this same recipe. Who could resist challenging themselves, when 2 trusted individuals have tried-tested the recipe. 
Adapted Ingredients:
266g Granulated Sugar (reduced by 1/3 from the original recipe)
200g All purpose flour
160g Unsweetened cocoa powder (I did not use dark cocoa, the color was still wonderfully black)
10g Baking Soda
5g Baking Powder
a pinch of salt
2 Eggs
240ml Buttermilk
240ml Black Coffee (I used a Kopi Luwak blend, any other coffee is fine)
120ml Vegetable oil (Used olive oil)
10ml Rum
Note: I've decreased the sugar from 400g to 266g. Added cocoa instead from 90g to 160g. Both sugar and cocoa absorbs water. I did this in order to not mess around with the texture of the cake. I wouldn't do it any other way.

Adapted Directions for 6-layered cake:
1. Preheat oven to 180 Celsius/ 350 Fahrenheit. Line any number of equal sized pans you have with parchment paper. I used 8 inch pans.
2. Combine all dry ingredients (Flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and powder, salt).
3. Add all of the other ingredients into the bowl and mix on medium for 2 minutes. The mixture will look thick, then will deflate and turn runny)

4. Weigh the batter and divide it into 6. Pour batter into pan, bake for 12 minutes, rotate them so that they color equally and bake for another 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. I chose to bake 6 layers, because it's cool. (Each layer stayed so very moist, don't worry.)
5. Cool 15 minutes, remove from pan, cool on rack completely (I did not), wrap it in plastic with parchment paper still attached. Freeze. (for ease trimming and layering) You see, the cake puffed up while baking, deflate while cooling. Hence, trimming was necessary. You can skip trimming or freezing. However, trust me, they're prettier when trimmed. 
6. Frost. 

I chose buttercream. The baker in me needed to succeed in buttercream! 

Swiss Meringue Rum Buttercream

185g Egg whites (approximately 5 large or 6 medium eggs)
200g granulated sugar
225g butter
5ml Rum

Directions:
1. Read this post, than this post. Remember, don't worry. I'm here to testify my success.
2. Make sure Butter is cut into smaller pieces and not cold / warm.
3. Let's begin. Combine egg whites and sugar in bowl. Boil some water in a pot and place bowl like a double boiler. (Make sure bottom of bowl does not touch boiling water).
4. Continuously whisk the egg white + sugar mixture on top of simmering water for 4 minutes. Check that all sugar is dissolved (not grainy to touch). Mixture shouldn't be fluffy just yet. Remove bowl from double boiler.
5. Begin to mix on high speed. At first, there will be steam. Continue and it will fluff up. Don't stop just yet, don't worry about over-beating. Continue to mix until bottom of bowl does not feel hot or even slightly warm. It should feel almost cool to the touch. At this point, egg whites feel so heavy that its almost like marshmallows. If in doubt, continue mixing.
6. Proper beating of egg whites will assure you that the cream stays firm. This should take 10-15 minutes. My cue was the temperature of the bottom of the metal bowl.
7. Begin to add butter. Do this ever so patiently. Each cube should be completely incorporated before continuing with the next cube, 15 seconds each addition.
8. After halfway through, cream should look a little curdled. Stay calm. Continue adding the butter. By the end, it will look smooth. 

Note: Previously, my cream turned soupy at this stage, I chilled it in the fridge for 15 minutes as told, and ended up with a curdled watery mess. If this happens to you, do not throw it away. Keep mixing. KEEP mixing until you beat it to your will. 
Note: What changed? I mixed the egg whites persistently. Until the bowl felt cool to touch. Something i remind myself. Swiss meringue buttercream is forgiving.


Layering the Cake:
1. I trimmed till my lil heart's content.
2. Place as equal an amount of cream as possible in between each layer.
3. Crumb coat. Chill cake.
4. Frost with a clean batch of cream. (As you can see, i still need more, much more practice)

Lastly, I know this post has been overly too long, but let's not forget to describe how this cake tasted. The cake was extremely moist and soft yet thick and full of flavor. The cream was light, fluffy and oddly, I could almost taste fresh milk. When they told me you'd eat spoonfuls of this stuff, I was sceptic. I repent. Both tasted nothing like plain sweet. Together, they were opposites yet similar. Oh, if only I could tell you, how delicious they are together. I blame myself for these pictures that do not even remotely tell you how yum these are.
If I can, you can do it better,
Jes

56 comments:

  1. You are definitely an expert of doing this, the cake really impressed me, its perfect 6 layer chocolate cake! i want , i want...

    ReplyDelete
  2. wowwww, how long did this take you make?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Moly! This looks delicious, and it's absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW. That looks incredible! Well done - I want a piece. I recently made a Chocolate Chilli Cake but it was just one layer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one totally amazing impressive cake! Not only is it a tall drink of water, but I love the "love" on top. Lovely x infinity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that is impressive! Looks amazing! Where do you start with eating that?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Ira: I confess, I WAS trying to impress... or was hungry for cakes... :p

    @ Kelvin: it took 2 hours the first night then 4 hours the next night! not bad >.<

    @ Maryanna: Thank you... Although i had a big mess to clean up... It was worth the jumps of happiness ;)

    @ chillininja: I just saw your blog, seemed pretty new... Looking gooood! :)

    @ Megan: The "Love" was my sister's idea :p

    @ Lottie: Each layer is the same... Doesn't matter where you start :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're the bomb. A six layered chocolate bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! A beaut! And six layers of total chocolate-y goodness. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that cake is amazingly tall! I'm really impressed by how neat it looks and how well it stayed together - I could never manage that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The fact that you have a six layer cake that still stands after its frosted is impressive! It looks fabulously delectable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ movita: Boom Ba Da Boom! :)

    @ Carolyn: You can tell from the recipe just how moist it is!! :)

    @ katie: It was. 8 inch tall or more. Stops you from keeping any in a tupperware, those little devils... :p

    @ Ms Lollipop: The fact that you made such beautiful macarons on your first try.... I have to admit my jealousy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. jeiiii mau cream nyaaaa ahahahaha the way u described it make my mouth waters wkwkwkw

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Seriously, 6 layers? Heaven in a slice! Might be too tedious for me to work on, but I am bookmarking, because you'll never know when you need to indulge in the 6 layer cake comfort to feel better...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is SO much fun! I love how each slice is an elegant tower of cake - indulges your inner child and inner greed all at once! The dark chocolate contrasts beautifully with the pillowy white meringue buttercream too...your photos are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wooooow.....excellent preparation..hats off dear..;)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummy cake and what a beautiful presentation!! I have a curry blog. If you want, we can follow each other!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @ Anonymous: ce nana? xD

    @ MyFudo: You can always make them for an occasion, unlike me. haha!

    @ thelittleloaf: Thank you! yes, it was a lot of fun... Except when you get to the stage where "how many more layers are there?!" :p

    @ Jay: Thank you! :)

    @ Purabi: Curry?! I love curry!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous layers! I could eat that as a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! That looks ... mouthwatering... and ... beautiful!!! Great presentation and I bet it was delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This cake is seriously amazing. And gravity defying! It's huge! The layers are all so perfect too. AND I love your photography. Gorgeous pics.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks like the best cake ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOWZA - that is one awesome cake! And your blog is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a stunning cake! I love the black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  25. this cake looks amazing and really yum

    ReplyDelete
  26. you're awesome for making this wonderful cake.

    ReplyDelete
  27. @ Diana: I do... eat cakes as a meal oh-so-very-often.... My hips are proof..

    @ Baltic: i wanted to do so much more with the decorating. But one step at a time, let's not ruin a good cake :p

    @ Nicole: That reminds me of Glee xD Thank you!

    @ londonbakes: Not really! but the best i've made so far :p

    @ Lindsay: WOWZA you back!

    @ Lynda: It was my original idea, to make the cake as black as possible then the cream as white as possible :)

    @ Buteczka: love your blog pictures... wish i could understand :)

    @ Katie: Thank you Katie! It goes to show it ain't that tough :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. this looks superb following your site on google friends :)
    regards Akheela
    torviewtoronto and createwithmom

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is an amazing cake. I have never made one that tall. So chocolatey.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello! It looks so beautiful for the freakish thing that it is. 6 layers! I would love to try this. Soooooo chocolaty and that frosting looks DEVINE!

    ReplyDelete
  31. @ Torviewtoronto: Thank you Akheela! :)

    @ bookcasefoodie: This is the second time i've made 6 layered cake. However, less pressure definitely produces better results for me :)

    @ THK: The original recipe is to divide it into 2 (9inch)-3 (8inch) layers. I did 6 because it impresses you guys. :p

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh, my God!! A six-layer cake!! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  33. @ Heidi & Eileen: Thank you :)

    @ pimientosverdes: yes, a six layer cake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Amazing... it's truly beautiful! I've been on the lookout for a chocolate layer cake for a while, this just looks so elegant and moist.. thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. you are a genius, this cake looks amazing !

    ReplyDelete
  36. this cake looks awesome! (and i love that you wrote love on it--so cute)

    ReplyDelete
  37. This looks absolutely divine Jesica! Did you bake this at 4am?:) Absolutely worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Reading the name of this cake makes me swoon, seeing the pictures makes me sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is a gorgeous looking cake. Would love for you to come and share this with us at foodepix.com.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow, this is a beautiful and stunning cake! 6 layers of deliciousness! It looks so professionally done, all the layers and frosting are even, it's really gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm sooo impressed with your cake! It looks great! Perfect work, Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  42. This looks like six layers of DANGER! I love the idea of a rum buttercream with chocolate cake, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  43. @ everyone: Thank you!!!! I'm thrilled that this 6 layer cake has left you gawking for a millisecond :p

    ReplyDelete
  44. Beautiful pictures! All your blogs are stunning...and this looks to die for! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Wow - this is really lovely! I am impressed. Not sure I'd be bold enough to attempt a six layer cake.

    ReplyDelete
  46. @ Dulcie: as long as you press each layer down enough, they won't topple over, even when u cut them :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. Woaaahh! I ATE this!! muahaaha! I'm so lucky n fortunate to b your guinea piggy! hehe keep up this awesomeness jes =D

    ReplyDelete
  48. so pretty and elegant and...i wanna put my head into it :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Mrs F: Hahah! cheekiest monkey indeed! Put your head into it... I'm laughing, serious!

      Delete
  49. holy shiitake mushrooms! SIX LAYERS?! absolutely divine!

    ReplyDelete
  50. I made it today! i used a caramel swiss buttercream for the filling then the rum one for the icing. It was amazing!! the only thing i would mention is that there is not enough cake mix for 6 cake tins, i made it one and a half times the mix above. Amazing cake though!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...