05 November 2011

Flaky (Almost like Puff Pastry) Apple Pies

After various mishaps in the past, from deep within my stomach, i remind myself "people exaggerate". The most delicious steak is not the "most" delicious steak. The tastiest soup are probably too tasty for human beings. And the most buttery cake would probably be butter itself with a tablespoon of flour. So, as i search for THAT "best apple pie" recipe once again, I had to admit, I was full of doubt and distrust.

I google'd "Flaky pie crust recipe" and when the results popped up, my mind was chanting "people exaggerate, people exaggerate, people exaggerate". I was proven wrong. Aside from the 5% reviews commenting on the difficulty of working with the dough, everyone else described it as the perfect flaky pie crust. The pictures, unfortunately, weren't convincing. I choose to group myself with the unfortunate 5%, and put the recipe aside. 
Boom ba da Boom. Look at how each piece of the crust separates itself from the other? That's "flaky". So, you ask, which recipe did you end up using? Moving on from that recipe, I went on to search more "pie crust" tips. I ended up clicking to my all time favourite food blogger, Smitten Kitchen's Pie Crust Tips and remember her cute little apple pie cookies? Coincidentally, that was the same pie crust recipe!

That was it, I was meant to use this recipe.
Butter Flaky Pie Crust

Note: "Butter Flaky Pie Crust" not because it tastes buttery but because it only uses butter. Many pie crust recipes includes shortening as a must, in order to build that "flakiness". Professional bakers would then explain that, shortening doesn't taste that..good. However, the key to a flaky pie crust is not in the ingredients used. It's all in the technique. Trust me, I was not calm being challenged with technique, especially when blaming the ingredients are always much easier.

If I were to describe this pie crust, it is "sinless", almost like puff pastry, yet less oily.

Ingredients

  • 310 g all-purpose flour
  • 3 g salt
  • 225 g butter, chilled and diced
  • 120 ml ice water

  1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
  2. Roll dough out to fit a 9 inch pie plate. Place crust in pie plate. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate.

Important hints:
Keep everything cold! As long as something begins to melt or separate, chill it!
Forgive me for missing out on the pictures of preparing the crust. I was... not calm, let's leave it at that.

Onto the filling, my experience tells me that even after baking, the apples stayed too crunchy, flavour of the herbs did not soak into the apples and the sauce was too runny. Hence, I decided to pre-cook the filling.

AppleFilling:
6 large, peeled, cored, and cute in 1cm cubes
80 grams granulated white sugar
35 grams light brown sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
15 grams cornstarch(corn flour)

1. Following Rose Levy's method, mix all the ingredients together (except cornstarch). Let apples sit in the sugar mixture for a few hours. The apples will, then, let out its juice and this will ensure that there will be no gap between the crust and its filling.
2. Heat the apples along with the juice until it starts to boil. Add the cornstarch and turn off the heat while mixing vigorously.

Baking (Pre-heat at 220 celsius)
1. Depending on the size of the pie, twist and cut off a portion of the very-chilled dough. Roll out quickly, making sure dough stays cold. When the dough starts to stick to your hand or the rolling pin, chill the dough again.
2. Scoop enough apple filling into the centre, fold and seal as you wish. To have the golden brown top, brush top with egg and sprinkle with sugar.
3. Immediately pop it into the oven or into the fridge. Bake for 25-30 minutes until top is golden brown.
4. Let rest for 5 minutes before digging in.

Note: Baking at a high temperature will ensure that the top crust be sealed and crisped whilst the middle layers continue to let out its steam to create separate layers, thus, its flakiness.
No regrets,
Jes

44 comments:

  1. I love, love, love what you do!
    That`s all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ lavieenfribourg: That made me laugh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! They look delicious! I've made apple empanadas that looked a lot like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just gave me an idea, I will make this tomorrow using some puff pastry I have the freezer, before it goes bad. They truly looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ So Domesticated: Thank you!

    @ Chelsea: apple + pastry = yum! :)

    @ Yadsia: Don't forget to have fun with the filling!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for leaving a comment in my blog. If your are looking for tips on chiffon cake herewith (http://wendyinkk.blogspot.com/2009/05/orange-chiffon-cake.html) and hope it helps you. And by the way, I loves your Flaky Apple Pie, you bet, I am going to bookmark and make this at my soonest!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Mel: Thank you for getting back :) I really hope i can make a beautiful chiffon like yours...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so good! I was actually thinking of making something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seriously, your cooking/baking talent is awesome! I so want to eat that apple pie. These must be better than the ones from McDonalds (they don't sell these here anymore :( )

    I don't think I can make these, too hard! Can you send me some? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look fantastic. That pastry looks so good. Can you send one over?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! Give me one of these and a scoop of vanilla ice cream, and I'll be in heaven. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ The baker: Do eet! Use the best quality butter, it would bring out the best :)

    @ Kelvin: My favourite apple pies were McD's!!! I can't believe they don't sell those there anymore!! That is worthy of protest! I can trade you these with your pizza! :p

    @ All That I'm Eating: Thank you :) pasting one of them stamps right now.

    @ Maryanna: With Ice cream, this pie is just dangerous!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hilarious: "people exaggerate." Looks delicious, this type of pastry always scares me though! Inspired to try though :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ Ingrid: I wasn't calm, trust me... But i needed to make that crust! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohhhh yum! These look delicious and yes, that crust look really flaky indeed and not too hard to make either! Great recipe! Thank you for sharing it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ Manu: Yup! its not that difficult! Do tell me if you did try it out :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks so tempting! Lovely pictures

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1. I love you.
    2. I think I will love these pies almost as much as I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ Padhu: Thank you :)

    @ Movita: That made me laugh! I'm going over to your site to make you laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Jes! Thanks for stopping by my blog :) Those are some pretty, pretty apple pies! The "best" pie crust can be so elusive. I'm intrigued that you used paprika in the filling. Does it add a smoky depth to the sweet filling? Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are just gorgeous!!! Beeeautiful food and picts!

    ReplyDelete
  22. @ NicoleD: "best" crust depends on personal preferences, really... :) The paprika is just so you can have 4 servings at one go ;)

    @ Care's Kitchen: Thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Now THAT'S flaky! Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh boy, this looks seriously good, Jessica. I am so going to bookmark this!

    ReplyDelete
  25. @ Wahiba: I'm glad you liked it! this recipe is not hitting the charts enough!!

    @ Shirley: ohhh boy! :)

    @ Elena: Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh men, these look delicious Jes!

    ReplyDelete
  27. hey, i am a big apple pie fan, especially in puff pastry...it flakes everywhere yummo!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That looks delicious, I've always been afraid of making my own crust - but this looks very tempting and doable.

    ReplyDelete
  29. @ Carrol: Thank you!

    @ Iva: They were quickly gone too and i might be to blame. :)

    @ Elsa: Don't be, its too easy to miss out on! When it cooled down a little, the butter chilled and the layers were even more visible! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh my goodness! Those apple puffs look divine! Love the pastry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. @ Shannon: Thank you dear...

    @ Sook: These would taste great with your chocolate milkshake!

    ReplyDelete
  32. These are so cute! Perfect to bring for a Thanksgiving away from home.

    ReplyDelete
  33. @ Anonymous: Thank you for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Whoa. These look so perfect and flaky! I'd totally like to eat these on a fall-time picnic.

    ReplyDelete
  35. @ Megan: fall-time picnic..... -drools-

    ReplyDelete
  36. i was wondering how the smitten kitchen apple pies would turn out! it looks like it was successful!

    ReplyDelete
  37. @ Oh Sweet: It wasn't exactly the same. But the crust was :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. They look fabulous! I have a hand pie tool waiting to be used! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh my goodness these look so good! I have been wanting to make little apple pies like this..I hope I get that chance to soon!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Yummy! they look delicous!i wanna try to make ... thank you so much Jes!^^

    ReplyDelete
  41. I am looking for something special for this Christmas. Any good 4-5recipes will do. Your adventure of food is very good. I love your blog and its photos. Keep posting, I just subscribe to your blog. And yes, Puff Pie have many varieties. Been a Baker Chef, I love to look for it.
    - Sathorn,
    Puff & Pie | Puff & Pie | Puff & Pie bakery

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...